Child Support

This webpage covers common concerns about the subject of child support
and the legal procedures for establishing, changing, and collecting on a support order.
Clicking on any of the topics below will take you directly to the section that provides
that information. However, you are encouraged to read the entire webpage to find out
information you might not know you need.

Topics include:

The duties of parents to support their children and the priority of child support orders over all other kinds of debt

How the amount of child support is determined under statewide guidelines and what other expenses are included in a child support order

How to prepare an order for an agreed amount of child support that meets the requirements of the law

How long does a child support order last? Does the collection of money from my paycheck automatically stop when my child reaches a certain age?

How do I obtain a child support order?

Where do I go for help?

How do I enforce my order for Child Support?

Frequently Asked Questions

The following links will take you to a separate page on the website. Return to this page with your browser's "back" or "go" commands if you did not finish the topic of Child Support before leaving:

What is an Order to Show Cause and what is involved in bringing or defending one?


Parental Duties

Return to top


Return to top



Return to top


Duration of Child Support

Return to top


Getting an order for child support

Before you can get an order for child support, you need to have a case filed with the Court.  If there is not an existing case, you need to file one: If you have an already existing case you must file your request using the case number of that case in the courthouse where the case file is located. You have several alternatives available to you to assist you in getting an order: The court recognizes that for many people hiring an attorney is not an option, whether for economic reasons or for personal reasons. Nevertheless, the position of all of the Family Law webpages is:

You are at risk when you represent yourself in a court of law. If you cannot afford to obtain counsel to represent you, at least seek some form of legal advice before you set forth on your own.

The Office of the Family Law Facilitator was created in 1998-99 for just those purposes, and there is a representative in each Los Angeles County courthouse in which Family Law cases are heard. Click the link above for locations, telephone numbers and hours.
Return to top


Enforcing an Order for Child Support

Return to top


Frequently Asked Questions

I have remarried. Is my spouse's income going to be counted for child support?

How do I stop the Wage and Earning Assignment Order if I do not have to pay any more child support because the child is too old? Do I still have to pay child support if I have 50/50 custody? Will the Court consider that I have other children to support? Will my support go down if I have the child(ren) more often? Can I get rid of the interest accruing on the child support I owe? How do I stop them from taking half my paycheck? What if the other party does not pay the child support?
Return to top